Thursday 1 December 2011

Project Overview

Overall I am very disappointed that I did not manage to finish the wolf model in time for the deadline of this unit. However I still have time to finish the model over the Christmas holiday. Despite the model not currently being finished I can see that when finished it is going to be a piece of work that is more than worthy of going in my showreel. I feel that it is the best character model that I have ever done and will definitely finish it and put it into my showreel. I also intend to go back and finish the tutorials from the 'Character Modeling with Maya and ZBrush: Professional Polygonal Modeling Techniques' book as I think there is still a lot that I can learn from there. I will also follow all of the other ZBrush tutorials on the Pixologic website. I will be looking into getting a book that teaches sculpting in ZBrush. One thing that I have certainly realised from this unit is how useful books can be compared to some of the tutorials that you can find on the internet.

I set myself three main aims for this project. The first aim that I set myself was to learn and understand the process of organic/ character modeling. I think that I have achieved this. I now no longer struggle when it comes to modeling a character, I still find it challenging at times but thats one of mains reasons I enjoy modeling so much. I enjoy the challenge of trying to build something in 3D. The second aim of my project was to learn the basics of ZBrush. I think that I have also achieved this aim. I think that I have moved passed the basic stage and am ready to advance my ZBrush skills. I feel confident that I know what I am doing in ZBrush  and where most of the basic tools are located so perhaps it is time for me to push myself and try to learn some of the more advanced features of ZBrush. I still have a lot to learn in ZBrush but I know that it is a very complex piece of software and that is why I only set myself the task of learning the basics, so that I could build a foundation of knowledge and now I can build on that. The third task that I set myself was to create a completed character model for my showreel. Unfortunately I did not complete this. The reason that I did not complete the wolf model in time for the project deadline is because of my poor time management. I found that because I had to juggle between three projects I found it difficult to split my time up evenly which meant that each project was effecting each other in a sense that I was spending more time on one project and the more time on another project and vice versa which meant I fell slightly behind at times. However I have learnt my lesson and this will not happen again. All in all I really enjoyed this project I found that I thoroughly enjoyed using ZBrush and will be using it a lot more in future. Plus its always helpful to know more than one software. This project also helped me to developed my modeling skills to a higher standard which will help me on other projects such as the short film we are currently making. Now that the project is finished I am aiming to use the knowledge that I learnt from this unit to help me model several characters in my spare time that I can then put into my showreel.       

No comments:

Post a Comment